Saturday, September 28, 2013

Soup Night Cookbook





Title: Soup Night
Author: Maggie Stuckey
Publisher: Storey Publishing
Genre: Cookbook, Soups
Rating:
 
My Thoughts:
This is such a cute cookbook. The entire book begins with the story about how one community started "Soup Nights" where once a week they would each rotate hosting a Soup Night for their neighbours. Everyone on the street was invited and there was always a specific time, only rules were that neighbours had to bring their own bowls and spoons and that there had to be a vegetarian option for the soup. The hosting house did not have to clean (although usually they did) and they just had to have soups made. That was it. The rest of the book has stories from other Soup Night communities as well as a number of soup recipes. I love the idea of a soup night, especially since these days we barely talk to our families, let alone know the names of our neighbours. Neighbours are important, they are always there to lend you a cup of sugar, and are concerned when something isn't quite right in the neighbourhood. I definitely am considering starting this Soup Night in my neighbourhood- who wouldn't love a night of soup, friends, and best of all no cooking?!

I tried two recipes from this book- one soup (Taco Soup) and one salad (Salad Coquille). I felt that it was necessary to try something other than just a soup to really see if this cookbook was good.

The Salad Coquille was ok. I liked the combination of the lettuce with the mandarin oranges and red onion, but the dressing was way too sweet for my liking- I felt like I was eating sugar. The dressing had 2 1/2 tablespoons of honey PLUS 1/2 cup of sugar. The recipe is for a serving of 10-12, but when I tasted the dressing before putting it onto the salad, I didn't like it. This might just be my tastes, so I definitely recommend trying it.

Taco Soup on the stove
The Taco Soup. What can I say? It was delicious, very filling, and super easy to make! My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it and are definitely keeping it in our repertoire! The soup is full of tastiness- beef, onion, beans, taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder! DELISH! Next time I make it I am definitely going to crank up the spice a little, my family likes spice. Other than that I thought it was fabulous. If you need a quick soup that is super tasty I definitely recommend this soup!



My Overall Impression:
I love the story behind the cookbook and I love the variety of soups offered. The recipes I made were tasty (other than the salad dressing, but that is more due to personal taste than anything) and quick to make. I felt that this was a cookbook I could keep on hand, and when I start my neighbourhood Soup Night, could make a number of the soups that are included. Overall, I give this cookbook 4.5 forks!

No comments:

Post a Comment